Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cousin Camp-2008

I just spent a week in Tennessee at my aunt's house for Cousin Camp 2008. Tomorrow I leave for the beach for a week. When I return, I'll give you the scoop. Here's the teaser: 16 cousins meet for one week for fellowship,food,music,killer badminton tournaments(complete with trophies),swimming,sleeping and, above all, eating. It's a week that's hard to describe. There are two sisters(my mom and my aunt) who had five children who had nine children.Added to this mix is one brave spouse and a various assortment of grandparents who dropped in and out during the week.Age range: 9 to 73!I'm still on a high from it and am finding it difficult to transition to packing for the beach. I'm on sensory overload for sure!

5 comments:

jo ellen said...

it sounds fantastic. No fights? arguments about politics or religion? I have so many cousins I don't know how we would do it. i think i have 27 first cousings. i am trying to count, but it's difficult to do.
Remember to tell me good places to go in Orange Beach. I'm leaving on the 12th.

Susie said...

Nope, no fights. We're a pretty peaceable bunch. Interested in naps and great food and swimming. The kids are old enough that they take care of themselves which leaves time for morning walks, sleeping late,afternoon naps and adult conversation.The kids are also old enough to be fun to hang out with. Everyone paints their self portrait every year. They line the walls and are so interesting to go back and look at each year. The girls painted my nails a dark blue, which I am still wearing.I call it my Christmas week, because it's better than Christmas to me.I am never more relaxed or more content than at my aunt's house the first week in July.

maggie moran said...

What fun! Reunion time in the South! Ah, I can taste the fried chicken! ;D

QueenBee said...

That sounds like fun! I was headed to Wisconsin this week, but due to a recall on my car, gas prices and just plain laziness, I decided to stay home.

Can I steal that idea? Although my mom has three brothers and three sisters who have a total of 32 children and we have a total of 54 and some of those had little ones...not that everyone would show up. We do have a family reunion each year, but the idea of cousins getting together likes so much fun!

Susie said...

Sure you can steal the idea! I'll give you the scoop when I get back in August.It's been going on for several years and each year gets more "pulled together." My aunt and cousin are the catalyst to it happening.