Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Night in Clarksdale-Madidi

So, I'm back from a great dinner out with great friends last night.Madidi is a restaurant in Clarksdale Mississippi owned by Morgan Freeman, the actor, and Bill Luckett, a local attorney.It's located in downtown Clarksdale, which shows signs of wear and tear from the "high cotton" days it used to enjoy.Friends Sam,Joellen and Rosie joined me for dinner. There is a great wine list and the waiter made knowledgable suggestions for each course. I stuck with my Michelob Ultra. I love to play "against type". HA!Anyway, here's what we ate: bread salad with tomatoes,fresh mozzarella and vinaigrette dressing. Here was the disappointment: the bread part was like these croutons you buy in the store. Joellen and I discussed how we usually make ours with chunks of french bread...more bread than salad. The balance at Madidi was more salad than bread. Perhaps this wouldn't have been such a downer if I hadn't been realllly holding back on my bread carbs this month. I was ready for some chunks of bread, I'm tellin' ya! So, on to the entrees. I had: a 16oz in the bone ribeye with, at first, the house steak sauce...which tasted like A-1(which I hate) so I sent for bearnaise sauce instead. Rich, so a little went a long way. My dish was accompanied with steamed baby green beans and HUGE stalks of asparagus in lemon butter. Sam had:the largest pork chop I've ever seen. It was breaded and stuffed with cheese. His side was collard greens. Joellen had:the 8 oz filet with asparagus and not sure what else. Rosie had:pepper crusted yellow fin tuna with stir fried rice, steamed vegetables and the three medallions of tuna were presented on a bed of greens. Joellen and Sam had dessert. Sam had: a chocolate thing with ice cream on it...(okay, I am NO restaurant reviewer...just a normal person trying her best to remember what we ate). Joellen had Grand Marnier Creme Brulee. I finished my Michelob Ultra for dessert because I had hoped we would end the night at Morgan Freeman's blues club down the street. However, conversation was so good, so interesting,so much fun...we talked instead going to hear the blues. Hopefully, another night, we'll return for the blues portion of the evening.No Morgan Freeman sighting last night though his partner, Bill Luckett, ate at the table next to us. Save your pennies, it's expensive, but if you do it right you can have a great meal for around $50.

3 comments:

jo ellen said...

i had the mushroom risotto. very good. i took home half of my filet and i just had it for supper. I warmed it very slightly in the microwave--don't want it to lose the medium rare--sliced it thin, then spread it over a boston lettuce salad with green onions and real better boy tomato. i topped that with a homemade dressing of mayo, lime zest, lime juice, champagne vinegar, fresh dill. It's a good thing.

sage said...

I just got back from a trip to the Bay area and Northern Nevada--lots of good food, I love the Asian food as well as the sourdough breads. Now it's back to reality.

Susie said...

Tell me about reality! Geez! I compare my "food fight" to an alcoholic in a liquor store. Same difference, different vice. Doubling up on the exercise, though!