Friday, December 12, 2008

Momma Reflections

Here's what it is. This being a mother and all. You would die for your child. Because you dying is better than the alternative of THEM dying. And that pretty much sets the tone for motherhood. My son is 15 now. A far cry from the tow headed, verbally gifted cheerful little thing he was at 4. So, he's working toward his Eagle Scout this Spring. He is in the Order of the Arrow, which is an honor within the scouts. In this order, they are indian dancers. This requires a costume. An elaborate grass dancing costume. A costume that is due to be danced in tomorrow. A costume I began on Tuesday, armed with velcro, fabric glue, yards and pounds of yarn in colors of red and blue glued onto black satin. I am telling you WHAT! I am so far out of my element it defies description. I can't even go into any more detail about it, such is the depth of my insecurity in this area!So, it's 1a.m. and I was thinking about what would motivate me to do this for him. And what I came up with was mother love. The same love I had when he was that little boy. That little boy is still in that growing, awkward, hilarious,smart,moody, tender hearted, loving teenager I have right now. And I look ahead and I realize he's going out in the world in three years. My goodness, that is a scary thought because there's so much more to tell him, to teach him and I'm still moody and trying to live my life and teach my kids and in the middle of that swirling soup of things...there he is at the core. I think the indian costume will prove my love for him more than my telling him. To do something so foreign to you strictly out of love for that person. Gotta go velcro...oh, and run in the morning...YAY!(I mean that, too!)

2 comments:

maggie moran said...

I look forward to the photo taken with pride, too!

sage said...

Last February, I wrote about my ordeal into the OA and my mother's response:

http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2008/02/ordeal-memoir.html

In her defense, I should note that she did help sew my breech cloth.