Saturday, May 10, 2008

Friday night in Como

If you notice there are two Stark Young novels on my list. This was generated by a conversation at the lovely Como Bed and Breakfast for the Fine Arts Division end of year dinner. Dan Smith was our gracious(as usual) host who shared with me that Stark Young was from Como and that "Heaven Trees" was one of his most well known novels. We walked over the railroad tracks to view the stunning/striking sculptures of Sharon(last name escapes me).Plaster casts of blues musician faces are lined up on closet shelves. More southern stories continued,as her home was formerly owned by Tallulah Bankhead's aunt. Word on the street is that the turret room is haunted. If you have a chance, check out Como. What a cool, hip place, ya'll!
Other books I am considering are thanks to Maggies links...somewhere along the way I picked up these titles there: Garden Spell and Lost Souls. Shelby Foote is on the list because I've never read him before and he lived just up the road in Memphis.

3 comments:

maggie moran said...

I love me some Como, too. Did Dan point out our house? I live at the North end of Main Street. The weeping pin oak with a wrought iron fence through it, that's us.

I would have to say Ms McConnell's house is haunted. The owner hung himself in the attic, and well, people live there for a couple of years and then they move on. We looked at the house before moving to Como, and I Sooo wanted it, but hubby said no.

Check out http://rangerreades.blogspot.com for a fun meme. :)

QueenBee said...

Enjoyed looking at everything on your blog! Your entry makes me want to visit Como. You are a breath of fresh air.

jo ellen said...

What a party! How are we going to top it?