Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Mercy of Thin Air-descriptive excerpts-fragrances

"She opened the doors. As she reached inside to inspect the shelves, she breathed deeply. A comforting aroma,almost a blend of pipe smoke and cinnamon, surrounded her."

"As I opened the letter from Yale, I let a part of him escape. Andrew's scent infused me, a clean metallic brine that deepened with heat."

" I pick a honeysuckle blossom and touch it to my nose. No matter how deeply I breathe, the scent doesn't fulfill my want for it. The narrow petals dally against my lip. I stare at the slender elegant well and pinch the base from which it grew. Slowly, the stamens emerge. I take the bead of nectar on my tongue. For a moment, the smooth liquid aroma satisfies me. Soon, there is a pile of spent blossoms on my lap."


"'What broke?'Twolly didn't look up.
'The pretty necklace you made for me.' Her cotton nightgown swished as she squirmed within it. I smelled Ivory soap,peppermint, and tree bark."

1 comment:

maggie moran said...

Love it! I love this time of year! I walk around Como and get the smell of Honey Suckle or Magnolia in my nose and am in pure heaven.

This author is trying to engage more than your mind as you read, and it will be one of those books you will not easily forget. She's creating a groove so to speak. :)