Monday, May 26, 2008

Searching for a new book "muse"

I am stuck! After reading two great books in a row (The Mercy of Thin Air and Mudbound) I am dissatisfied with every thing I pick up! I have been forcing myself to read "Once Upon A Nervous Breakdown" by Patrick Sanchez(which I paid for, by the way!) and I just can't do it anymore. I don't care if I did buy it on a whim at Amazon.com. Anxiously awaiting the opening of the library in the morning where three or four potential books await!I've read on several blogs about Mary Kay Andrews, so one of her Savannah books is on hold, The Secret Life of Bees is there as is one or two more. Hopefully, I will have a more upbeat entry next time. Reading is like a craving to me! I crave reading, I always have! From the time I was a little girl, I would read anything! I remember bookmobiles in the summer, and visiting my grandmother and reading anything she had.I still have original copies of many of the Maud Hart Lovelace "Betsy book" series. My mom read them when she was young and passed down the love of Betsy, Tacy and Tib to me. I am still the same way, but teaching kind of takes the spontaneity out of it for me. May is my grace period, my "personal life brain cells" come alive. I am so thankful!I hope to read away my summer days until my eyes are bloodshot!

6 comments:

maggie moran said...

Have you thought about One Mississippi by Mark Childress? You might also like Joshilyn Jackson.

Anyhoo, Hillary Jordan has agreed to an interview. Do you have any questions for the author of Mudbound?

Susie said...

Very cool!
Question for Hillary Jordan:
Are there plans for a continuation of the characters in "Mudbound" in another book?
Did she draw characteristics of the people in "Mudbound" from people she has known or stories she has heard?

QueenBee said...

The Secret Life of Bees-- absolutely loved it! I think you will too.

Angie Stuart said...

Howdy Susie-Q!

I've got some Mary Kay Andrews books that you are more than welcome to borrow, when you are up this way. Just let me know and I'll have them for you!

Ang

Susie said...

I'm number 12 on the large print copy of Secret Life of Bees. Thanks for the input, queenbee! I remember reading Sue Monk Kidd in my mom and grandmom's Guidepost magazine growing up. I am so interested to read how she's grown since then as a writer. I'll let you know when I've read it.

Susie said...

Thanks, Angie! The library here in Batesville has a lot of them so I'll use theirs til I run out. Then I'll start digging in your supply!