Thursday, May 29, 2008

"8 Pecan Corner" is the name of my homeplace

Finally, after more info from Maggie, I have figured out how to enter the "Name your Homeplace" contest. First of all, my dad was a Southern Baptist Preacher sooooo, we moved around....A LOT!!We finally started some true family roots when I was in the 11th grade(1974). We bought the house I now refer to as home.There are a lot of cool things about this house.
I am a musician and, back in the 30's and 40's the original owner of the home taught all the little children in town piano lessons. One day a couple of summers ago a lady brought us a little bud vase by. This piano teacher had given it to her before she died. It was the bud vase that always sat on her piano while she taught her lessons here. It is a treasured part of our home now.
In 1978, Mom and Dad did a major renovation of the old house. The attic was enlarged to contain a large suite, loft-like in nature, of rooms. They kept the eaves, added two skylights and a master bath and that's where they retreated as they raised two teenaged girls. We were downstairs, they were upstairs...a perfect solution!
In 1998, I divorced and Mom and Dad offered that same upstairs suite to my 4 year old son and I...a haven from a stormy time in life.
My roots run so deep in this place! First, because for so many years I had no roots. Second, because at the most desperate time in my life, it's doors opened again to me to offer rest and healing.
Now, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, it would take a truckload of dynamite to blow my southern "tush" out of this place!
I've always called it "the yellow house with the red door" but the other day I was outside walking around looking at all the pecan trees in the yard and I started counting them. There are eight right now. Last year there were nine, but something got one of 'em. The roots of those tall trees sure are deep...as deep as I feel my emotional roots are to this most sacred of places. I've named it "8 Pecan Corner"...simple really, 8 pecan trees on a corner lot.

5 comments:

maggie moran said...

Perfect name and story! You done good! :)

Susie said...

Thanks, Maggie!

maggie moran said...

You won the pecans! Are you on campus or should I ship them to your home address? Congrats! :)

Susie said...

Awesome! I always love me some free food! HA! Not stepping so much as my big toe on campus until mid-June for pre-registration.(Only nice cash incentive moves me to do so even then!)Mailing them to me would be great!

sage said...

I now read back to see about you being a Southern Baptist PK... Nice story, love the name of your homeplace. 1974 was a good year to be in the 11th grade. Does that mean you graduated in '75 too?