Monday, June 2, 2008

Take a break from thinking kind of reading

Okay, after knocking out two of my three southern reads(Mudbound and The Mercy of Thin Air) I decided to lighten up so I read my first Iris Johannsen(sic?) book. Loved it. Read most of it floating around in a swimming pool with 70spf sunscreen. So glad to find pool lit, ya know? Simultaneously, I am reading "Run" by Ann Patchett. It's a little pretentious, so far, but what can I expect after reading a suspense novel, huh? Ah well, it takes all kinds. I'm so glad I'm past the age of reading something just to "drop the name of it". I read for almost complete enjoyment now(outside of work, that is) and it is a relief! I used to read books simply because they were on the NY Times bestseller list. Granted, there are some great books to be read from that list,but it should be the book, not the prestige or "it's the latest thing/fad" that causes me to read.

2 comments:

LeeLee said...

Susie, at least you read those books before you dropped their names! I suspect many just read the NY Times Book Review and say they've read the book itself... I tend to stick to thinking kind of reading when I read fiction, but I do love my refreshingly vapid People Magazine. I may change my ways and go for some of the pool lit variety. I'm through two of my Southern Buddies picks and they have been heavy. I'm staying at a beach house with a wall of books to choose from this week...I can hear some of these lightweight titles calling my name.

maggie moran said...

Susie - Excuse the interuption, but would you e-mail me your address so I can get the khans in the mail?

mmoranATnorthwestmsDOTedu

Thanks bunches!

(I spelled it out so you won't get spams in your comments. There is a software that specifically targets blog comments and then slams you with ads.)