Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crazy in Alabama by Mark Childress-A Review

I am almost embarassed by my review of Childress' "One Mississippi". It was such a shallow review. I only talked about what struck me deeply, the main character. There were many storylines that I neglected to talk about. I didn't realize I had done that until I read "Crazy in Alabama", also by Childress. Maybe it's because he addressed the racial conflicts so much more thoroughly in "Crazy", but I got his messages loud and clear this time around! The two main voices in the book, Aunt Lucille and Peejoe, could have represented two entirely different books. I'm not sure why he superimposed them together other than the fact that what happened in Industry, Alabama was so intensely violent, sad and regretful that to keep from plunging into a depression everytime yet another black person was senselessly murdered, you could focus on the surreal life of Aunt Lucille. I believe Childress is a skilled writer. This storyline in the hands of a lightweight could have been disastrous! What happened, instead, was that I came away from the book with a much clearer understanding of what happened all those years ago in Alabama during the days of Martin Luther King and protest marches and segregated swimming pools and restaurants. Childress made it seem like yesterday, but in a good way, in that he presented a subject we've all studied and discussed and observed in a fresh light, a new angle, perhaps a more thorough and personal view of an age old conflict.I am interested to hear the impressions of others who have read this book. I wonder if I am dead on or I missed the boat. Anybody?

2 comments:

maggie moran said...

Oh, I have not read this, but there is no reason not to except I'll need to get it from the library! Isn't this the one where the hubby's head is being carried around in the hat box? We talk about that when we take Faulkner for a ride. ;D

Now, go to google.com and in the left hand corner click the word image. Type in Crazy in Alabama and double click on a book cover. Double click the cover of the next screen and the book cover will appear all by its self. Right click on the cover and save picture as CnAL. Then you want to follow those steps I sent you to put the image in this post. Now, go do it! Good Luck! :)

maggie moran said...

Gurl! I want you to place the cover in the body of your post, not the side bar. I'm proud of you! You are doing a great job! But the left side of your blog is the body where your posts reside, and the right side is your sidebar. Oh, did you know you can move the order of the sidebar by clicking on one of the boxes and holding down the click while you drag it to another location? Give that a try, too. :D