Friday, June 6, 2008

Do Diet Books Count?

And now we come to the "lit" I am truly interested in....the ultimate weight loss diet book.Through the years there have been many. They've placed first in the pageant of elusive skinniness I pursue but always...always, they let me down(I don't let myself down, it's the diet book's fault).My first diet was Weight Watchers in the 8th grade. Looking at my pics from that year I realize NOW that I wasn't fat! Yikes!It jumpstarted years of yo-yo-ness in my eating and weight habits. I was always motivated by a "cute boy" from high school on but now, as I approach 50 and have weathered a divorce...hmmmm...I'm having a hard time using that as motivation any longer..HA!So I tried the "love yourself just as you are" route...which is healthy emotionally but I REALLY wanted to see my feet again when I stood up. I miss seeing my feet. My ankles are actually two of the skinniest things about me!
So, I'm an apple. In case you are wondering and you were raised under a rock, women now categorize their size by a fruit:pears carry it low, apples carry it in the middle, celery...first of all, that's a veggie and second of all, who is going to have sympathy for someone lean and skinny but without curves...sounds like a whiner to me!Actually, my goal is to be a celery! So, being the consummate googler that I am, one night I googled "people who want to lose a fat belly" and up comes "The Flat Belly Diet" by Prevention magazine. Of course, one of my more astute friends asked "Ummm, aren't ALL diets lose belly fat diets?" She is a skinny bitch, but I love her. For some reason, it kicked in...okay, okay..it kicked in this past Monday. I know, I know..it's still too early to tell. Here's the bottom line: I lost 2 inches in my waist and 5 and 1/2 pounds since Monday! That's FOUR DAYS! I walked 1.2 miles a day in my new "tennie shoes". I am loving the food. You eat four 400 calorie meals a day and it is satisfying. It's based on a Mediterranean diet...olive oil, nuts,avocados,lots of fresh vegetables and fruits,fish, chicken,feta and goat cheese.You drink this stuff called "sassy water" and it's SO good! Here's how you make it(thanks to the Flat Belly Diet book people):
Sassy Water:
to a pitcher of water add:
1 cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
1 lemon thinly sliced
tsp of grated ginger(I'm not a good grater so I just thinly slice some ginger root)
fresh mint
Let it steep overnight and drink in place of, here's the rub, everything else you've been drinking(this includes the Michelob Ultra I've acquired a summer taste for)
Actually, I don't even have a hard copy of the diet book, yet. I have this Prevention magazine "special" I got checking out at Wal-Mart on Sunday. In keeping with the blogging theme of the summer, you can even sign up with them online and track your inches and weight loss on a grid. It tells you % of weight loss and body fat loss...tells your BMI(that tells you how REALLY REALLY fat you are, be strong before you take that on, is all I'm saying!)
Women in search of a flat belly(or a relatively flat belly in my case)unite!

2 comments:

maggie moran said...

Dang, your losing weight and eating chocolate pecans at the same time?!? What the name of the miracle book, again! ;D

Susie said...

Well, let's just say I had to "dispose" of the chocolate ones by sharing with my family. The salted ones are MINE, though!"The Flat Belly Diet"...that's the book that struck a chord in me, for sure!