Monday, June 9, 2008

Munching on southern pecans reviewing a pair of books I read this weekend

Sitting here on a Monday morning munching on pecans I won in the weekly blog drawing. Thanks Maggie! I did a marathon read yesterday and finished up both "Run" by Ann Patchett and "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. Eyes are still bloodshot from late night of finishing these two books. I was reticent while reading "Run" for a long while. I don't know why. I guess I was put off by the large print version I was reading. I found it distracting, but it was the first available copy.I liked the book "okay". I don't know why I never really allowed myself to open up to the characters. I remember reading "Bel Canto" when it came out a few years ago. I had a similar reaction to the writing style then, though I enjoyed "BC" more than "Run". I guess I just wasn't in the mood to read about yet another privileged east coast family suffering in their mansions with loads of cash. There! I said it! Perhaps it's the middle class in me that chafes me when the "old Bostonian money folks do something noble with their lives" storyline emerges. I just never mustered up much sympathy or interest in any of them. The most interesting character, of which the writer spent the least time on, was Sullivan, the black sheep(and only white child)of the family.
"The Secret Life of Bees" was polar opposite in setting and writing style. I grew up reading Sue Monk Kidd's contributions to "Guidepost" magazines.In ways, this was a hindrance to reading the book. I kept waiting for a traditional Christian take on the life of Lily. It never came, which caused me to have to go back and rethink my preconceived notions of how it all would turn out. I LOVED the beekeeping sisters! What wonderful people! I wish they were real! I loved everything about the bees. Made me want to invest in a hive or two. It was interesting the way Lily's parents were so flawed...that they remained flawed to the end, that Lily's peace was found in spite of no changes in her parents. When the absent mother was finally humanized, she wasn't spic and span clean. Kidd left her flaws and that was interesting to me and opened me up to thinking of resolutions to life that don't deliver perfection.We are spoiling ourselves if we only read the "happy ending" stuff. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a happy ending, but it's good to step out of that and open yourself to alternatives. It's a good transfer to our real lives.

6 comments:

maggie moran said...

I like a sad ending every once in a while, too. I just finished The Death of Sweet Mister and dang what a sad ending. I'm not sure if I will talk about it or not. It is a little on the disturbing side. :0

Plus, I read three Harry Crews short stories and I'm hanging around in a funk. I need funny!

QueenBee said...

I agree, sometimes the best stories don't have happy endings. I love a story that leaves me thinking about the characters. I, too, loved the bee sisters. They kinda reminded me of my mom and her three sisters. During the summer they would come to AR and help my grandmother can plum jelly. Man, I love the South!

sage said...

Those pecans are great, aren't they. I've not read Secret Lives of Bees and had no idea Monk wrote from Guidepost.

Eva said...

I really liked Secret Life of Bees too! I read it for last year's Southern challenge. And I want to go live with the bee keeping sisters as well!

Susie said...

Yes, Sage. I don't think Kidd writes for them now but years ago she did. I think that's how she got her start...one of those Guidepost writing seminar things they do. I remember I always liked seeing her name come up. She had a different voice and way of expression. She has really grown since then with "Bees".

Susie said...

Eva, so there's going to be a "Bees" movie? Angela Bassett as main sis, maybe Whoopi as the crazy one and Alfre Woodard as the teacher. How cool!