Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sex and the City is not a southern book

I am finding that I blog all sorts of things here. Especially helpful was the You Tube blogging instructional I watched on Maggie Reads. This week I have seen the movie "Sex and the City" two times in a row. I mean I went to see it Monday and went back to see it yesterday. Now, here's the thing. Don't let the title or reputation of the series keep you away. Also don't let the nudity and gratuitous sex keep you away. I mean, nudity isn't a bad thing, but it was overkill I thought. And that's about the only negative thing I have to say about it. If you've ever had a bad ending to a relationship, (and if you haven't you are in denial or are very, very young), you need to see this movie.What kept me wanting more of the movie was the stark reaction the characters had to being badly treated by a man. It was very realistic, yet it wasn't cynical. The movie acknowledged that, yes, a woman does need and want to be loved by a man. No, it is not any fun to be without a man your entire life. Yes, men can improve the quality of your daily life. No, you do not have to be attached at the hip.Yes, you need to be wise but you also need to forgiving, able to self-entertain and not depend on them for your all the time happiness. It also really stressed the necessity of forgiveness when they have behaved badly. We put men on a prince charming pedestal. They are human just like we are. I think women put blinders on about their own flaws sometimes and just focus on the flaws of their men. I love this: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Sometimes women have such defense systems built up within them to keep from getting hurt. Well, life is just gonna hurt you sometimes. No one is immune. I have always heard that whatever gets on your nerves in someone else, is quite possibly one of your character flaws,too. It's a good thing to keep in mind. I think if we just remember that men are not the be all end all key to happiness. They are meant to be our friends, supporters and lovers. We are in charge of our happiness.I am a work in progress on this front, but this movie helped crystalize some of my thoughts. What do ya'll think?

5 comments:

maggie moran said...

Please, don't limit your blog to books. The SRC is really to get you guys exposed to blogs with the librarian's dream of reading!

It is so true, I loathed my brother for years and had no idea "why" until I realized we are pretty much the same.

WBW, in my church's youth group the leaders stressed the need to like yourself or at least accept yourself before you go off looking for a mate for life or just to date. I took it to heart and realized I had more freedom as a single. It took a while for me to marry b/c potentials kept showing me they relied on me for their happiness. My hubby was the first one w/ sel happiness. :)

sage said...

I sometimes review movies in addition to books. Doubt I will see this movie, but if I did, it'd raise some eyebrows from my regular readers... Maybe I could watch the Japanese version. Good insights, btw.

Susie said...

Great comments, Maggie! It's one of the least favorite qualities about myself. The ability to feel such irritation at people who must be exhibiting MY particular behavior or character trait. HA! So far, I only have the strength to acknowledge it. I still get highly irritated at them. Looking forward to evolving forward with that attitude!
Unfortunately, when I was going to MY church youth group, they were still touting the "prince charming" route. It's taken me years to work through that mess! HA! Tis a journey, yes?

Susie said...

Sage, I'm a thinkin' that the japanese version of "SATC" may never make it to Mississippi. HA! It would be worth the price of admission to watch it that way, though.

QueenBee said...

I know I told you I'd probably see this since my kids are gone, but I saw Get Smart instead and I LOVED it! Have you seen it, what are your thoughts?