Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Spotted a Runner Today!

I saw another runner today! My first "other runner" to see! I was clocking a new route in my car and I passed him. I wanted to roll down my window and yell "Hey! You! What's your name, how long have you run,how far do you run, do you know any other runners? Correction, do you know any "older runners"? Huh? Huh?" I decided against it. First, because I HATE it when people roll down there windows to say something to me in this small town. I don't want anything to break my stride. There's a little part of me that's afraid I'll run, run, run like Forrest Gump did and then one day just turn around and go home, never to run again. Who's to say I could have had the same effect on the running guy I passed? Plus, he was a hardcore runner, nothing was without defined muscle on his body.
Living in a small Mississippi town, it's hard to map any kind of trend. For all I know, there are thousands of women approaching 50 who are adding running to their lives. Only, they aren't living around me. It's solitary, that's for sure, but I like it that way. I don't want to run in a group, I don't want a "running partner to keep me accountable". I think I am doing this consistantly BECAUSE I am doing it alone.
So, I guess I was surprised at my reaction in seeing this runner. It made me tear up a little bit. He would have probably looked at this middle aged woman old enough to be his mother and thought I was a crazy!So, I didn't roll down my window. I just kept going and watched him in my rear view mirror as long as I could.
I want to run alone, but it's nice to know I'm not alone!

No comments: