Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This is actually Week 7! Further along than I realized!


So, today it was: 5 minute run/2 minute walk 4x with a 2 minute run at end. Wow! Talk about apprehension. I go through all these mind games with myself on Monday nights. Mondays are my rest days and so in the back of my mind, since I'm so new into this that my trust level with myself is very low, there is unease whether I will actually resume a new week each Tuesday. Today, the week of female troubles began. So, of course, I was preparing myself for all kinds of worst case scenarios. I stepped outside with my good luck chunk of ice in my mouth(every morning, one cube that I crunch down, THEN I start)to a chilly morning. WOW! I haven't had that yet! And I just put one foot in front for five minutes while listening to this great song about this being the day the Lord has made, to be happy in it and not to think about the tomorrow just yet.Perfect start! It STILl is mind over body. The body can do it, the mind is the great challenge, to not FREAK OUT when I look at my timer and I still have 45 seconds left of the 5 minutes! I just relax, slow it down, breathe easy and FINISH the five minutes!
I'm reading "The Courage To Start: A Guide to Running for Your Life" by John "The Penguin" Bingham. He started running when he was 100 pounds overweight. The book is about your mind, your philosphy, what running can mean to your life quality, not only physically but emotionally. It's a deep book and really speaks to us normal, out of shape middle aged people who long to run like they did as children, to feel like an athlete, to uncover their natural body state, to feel confident enough to consider themselves an athlete. He says I am right now! How about that! You are an athlete when you do athletic things, it doesn't matter if you just started. Think that way, it will help. So, what a fringe benefit to the actual quest, your brain gets fed, too. How cool is that?
*at beginning of post is a pic of "The Penguin", John Bingham.

4 comments:

maggie moran said...

I love the ice idea! Thanks for the tip! :)

Looking forward to your new foot wear post. ;D

Susie said...

I love the ice thing, too! Didn't realize it was even a ritual until I wrote about it in the blog. HA!

QueenBee said...

Seven weeks, great job! I may have lasted seven days. I agree, when I was "running', I did feel like an athlete and I was proud. Maybe I should try it again, especially since it's starting to cool off some. Keep up the good work!

Susie said...

Crystal, the book pic on my blog helped me a LOT! Also the John Bingham books are helping me mentally, and it's all mental, which is a shock to me! I always thought physically I could never do this. The trick for me was to use a formula, the one in the book eases you into it. Go for it! My next step is to buy real running shoes..I think I have the 500 bucks I need saved up for them...HA!