Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Week 11-Run 10/walk 2 for 2x with run 6 at end


Today I ran ten minutes straight! TWICE! I look back on my early journals and the gratitude I wrote about just to run 30 seconds! I have always maintained this is a prescription for running. If I follow the directions, I will improve. I'm out for fall break so I went to the track to "shake up" my routine. I must say the asphalt is deteriorating and I didn't enjoy it as much as my other neighborhood route. Also, it wasn't as interesting, no fields to jog by, no harvest mums and pumpkins set up along the way to distract me. It was a technical run, though, and I enjoyed mapping exactly how far I can run in ten minutes(almost three laps). I remember when a half a lap was all I could do!This endurance is sneaking up on me. Every week I think "This is the one I won't be able to do!". So far I have been VERY wrong! Thank God for that!
My son, who tends to be sedentary, has joined me for two walks this week in the evenings! One, a nature trail at a local state park and the other meandering through new neighborhoods. He's 14 and I don't want him to struggle with weight his whole life like I have. Plump or thin, I've always felt fat. It's the last thing I want for him.
When he was young I read that if you want them to love to read, they must see you read. It's probably the same with fitness. If you want them to pursue fitness, they have to watch you pursue fitness.

1 comment:

Tenise said...

Susie,

That's wonderful that Spencer is walking. I hope that he continues.

Overall, I agree with your comment which is basically that parents should be doing more than talking but walking it out themselves in whatever area they deem important and godly in their children's lives.