Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week 10-Running in a Rainstorm!


Week 10-run 8/walk 2 for three times....in the POURING RAIN in a HOT PONCHO! Talk about unexpected! I knew it was going to rain, but when I got up this morning, it seemed I had time for my thirty minutes...NOT! I stepped outside and the bottom fell out. I was so determined to run that I reached inside for my poncho, threw it on and took off in the monsoon. I splashed through DEEP puddles and began critiquing our city road crew, I mean we could wash away in the water standing in the roads! My mind began to rebel, my body was fine...steady even breathing, rhythmic footsteps...but my mind, it was a battle, I tell you! It took me into my second 8 minute run to calm myself down in spite of the fact the rain had slacked off! I even had to put earphones on and listen to music, which I had weaned myself off of at that point! At the end of the run I felt physically great but mentally I still felt the struggle!Interesting, very interesting, that this former couch potato could handle the physical work of it, but that the mental work provided the challenge. Running is shaking me up in places I never dreamed. I am a penguin runner, a great proponent of the writings of John Bingham who gives this fast approaching 50 year old single mother the courage to accept herself running on the road, not resembling society's image of a runner, but equally as important, equally as legitimate!

No comments: