Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How you know the town's taken notice that you are a runner

This morning was a struggling run and it was all I could do to finish it. So, I've made my big loop of the run which passes back by my house and as I turn the corner the school crossing guard says(who, by the way, has NEVER spoken a word to me before) "Running kind of slow this morning, aren't you?" Honestly!!I wanted to say "H*** yeah I'm runnin slow!" But I didn't.I just reminded myself that at least I was out there and that I wasn't running for anyone else but myself and it didn't matter what anyone in this WORLD thought about how much, how long, how fast, how slow I was running. Once again I was reminded that it is a MIND GAME! Running is in your head!If your head is right, the run will be right. It is shocking being back at school and having to do the early runs again in cold January. It is also gratifying to return to work and have those you work with notice the continuing change. So, all in all, not a bad day!

4 comments:

maggie moran said...

AND, the crossing gaurd probably could not keep up with you either! :P You can snub all those people who are just starting a heath program while you are months into yours, too. :)

Susie said...

Thanks for that, Maggie! Ya just never know where your encouragement OR discouragement will come from in life. Thanks for NOT being a school crossing guard! HA!

sage said...

Keep it up! Sounds like you're doing great, yes, they'll be bad days, but you still ran, wow!

Susie said...

Thanks, Sage! Hope you don't pay too close attention to my writing skills! I'm pretty "stream of conciousness" as compared to you. I appreciate the encouragement, especially knowing you are a "working out at the gym" kind of person! :)