Thursday, January 22, 2009

Today I ran 30 minutes straight!

Today I ran 30 minutes straight. I've never done that before. It was 2.2 miles so, what's that? A little under 15 minute mile? I'll take that. I ran the 5K route I'll be running in May. Obviously I didn't run the whole thing. There are "dog issues" on the leg of it I didn't run. Gonna have to borrow dad's doggie mace he carries when he cycles. So, if I ran 2.2 in 30 then surely I can finish a 5K in 45 minutes or less, hopefully, since I have until May to increase time and mileage,right? Clearly I need to do some tech reading about running.
It was surreal, symbolic and has not completely sunk in. I read back through my journal that began in August and how I struggled and how much I've learned.
One favorite comment I made:
"Went to Cracker Barrell for breakfast and then to the track for my morning run. I felt like I was running with bricks in my stomach." Valuable lesson learned, don't tank up on food before you run, idiot!
Another favorite memory was the first time I ran in the rain. I always thought you cancelled if it rained, but you don't! I've run with ice, rain, wind so strong I ran with it instead of against it, hot muggy mornings, crisp cold fall mornings, mornings hungover after too many mimosas at a christmas party, hungover with too much FOOD from a christmas party, Christmas Eve...it's just shown me that if you want to do something, you do it. If you don't, there's plenty of barriers just waiting for you to throw them up in your own way.

3 comments:

sage said...

Congratulations on another milestone

Susie said...

Thanks so much, Sage!

maggie moran said...

W2G! Sorry, I'm late! Using my pooter for the great good! I take doggie cookies with me when I'm out alone. Usually works wonders except sometimes they want to follow you to where there are more COOKIES! L8r!