Monday, January 12, 2009

I am loving this running on a brisk cold morning!

Today was Monday. Usually a hard transition from lovely weekends,but today my run helped me start the week out in a positive way with brisk cold weather and feeling so great while running. I have a hybrid route now. One that splices together an old running course with some new territory. I am finding that it's important to switch up your route to avoid boredom. I enjoy seeing new things and stretching the run out for longer distances. This weekend I'm going to try to run the actual 5K course that our town will do in May. Right now it's a stretch for me to go much past 2 miles in 30 minutes.(Though it was somewhat discouraging to read in a running book I have that 14 minute mile was as high as the "if you run a timed mile this is how you'll run a 5K, half and full marathon"chart would go)Nevertheless, to be close to 15 minute miles almost everytime now is a great encouragement to this fledgling runner. In a way, I'm glad the book presented it that way because that gives me a reference point for what they consider a "slow mile"...clearly it's 14 minutes! So, I will keep plugging along, almost like taking a pill methodically and correctly, and by Spring Break, I should see a faster mile coming my way. Keep the head straight, put in the time and it falls in place.

2 comments:

maggie moran said...

No, you are the encourager! I read your posts and I want to go out and conquer the concrete!

Okay, we have a race route and a date in mind, so we need to move into training for your first 5K schedule! :D

Susie said...

Yikes! That sounds so...so reality based! HA! There's one in my Beginning Running book as well as another one. PLEASE conquer the concrete! I could use a buddy at these 5K's!!